Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sammy..

Sammy was a neighbor about 3 miles down the road from where we pastured in Tn.

I did not know Sammy but we always waved at each other in passing.

Sammy was a young 42, beautiful wife and kids, beautiful house and lots of nice ‘man toys”.  The ‘envy’ of all who drove by.

Two years ago while attending a community meeting Sammy’s brother told me that Sammy had been diagnosed with stomach cancer, had been in surgery and the doctor  had sent him home with 6 months to live. He asked if I‘d visit and pray for him.

I visited Sammy several times, even taking some ministers from the church with me to pray at close of Sunday evening services. Each time I visited this man, who , at the beginning, was a robust 300+ pounds, was getting skinnier and weaker.

Sammy cried each time I prayed with him. I helped him to pray a prayer of repentance. In his mind he was ‘saved’ because he attended another church where ‘salvation’ was but saying a few words. I explained the Biblical plan of salvation as found in Acts. Unfortunately his condition deteriorated so quickly that attempting to speak with him became almost impossible.

One early morning I felt led of the Spirit of God to visit Sammy again. God told me to speak to Sammy about the Kingdom of God and the baptism of His Spirit. As his wife opened the door she spoke to me with a broken voice and tears steaming down her face. “Preacher”, Sammy has taken a sudden turn for the worse. His body has shut down. He is in a coma, Hospice is here, and the doctors say he will pass at anytime. ..But preacher, you may see him and most assuredly pray. He will not recognize you or even know you are there. Please come in”

Sammy was lying in a fetal position. He was in a coma. Breathing was almost none existent. He appeared dead. With a great sorrow in my spirit I placed my hand upon his and said “Sammy, God has sent me to speak to you of the Kingdom of God. I KNOW you can hear me” I told him what God had placed in my spirit to tell him.

I placed my hand upon Sammy’s head as I always did when I prayed for him. I said a simple prayer. How do you pray for a man who chose a different plan of salvation and was now comatose and within hours of eternity? I prayed as best I could…..with tears.

Suddenly Sammy started moving.  He raised his head. He sat up, almost erect. His hands went strongly into the air. In a very strong voice with eyes open and bright, he said, “Jesus is a coming soon. Tell my brothers and sisters. Tell my family. Jesus is coming very soon. Let everyone know, Jesus is coming soon.” The words were very clear and strong coming from an almost dead man. Just as suddenly he began to speak in another language [tongues]. A great peace was in that room. Others in that room were standing with mouths gaped open. What seemed like a long time was actually about 5 minutes…then his hands came back down to his sides. His body returned to the fetal dying position as before. I stood again in awe of our God. His wife said “What happened? I ve never seen anything like that before in my life. I ve never heard Sammy ever talk like that”. Having no clear choice of words I told her that Sammy had an experience with God.

Next day I arrived to find all of the family members sitting on the porch, in the lawn chairs. Sammy had died during the night.  Upon seeing me many rushed to me and asked me to explain, one more time [that experience had been made know by his wife to all she talked to that evening] what that experience was.    I explained.

 . Acts 2:38 clearly tells us how to be saved: 1. repent 2. Be baptized in Jesus’ name for the remission of sins 3. And ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 

I learned long ago that God has some different ways and thoughts than mind. I also know he does not change His written word. So, what happened? All I can say is that Sammy had an ‘experience’ with God. Maybe God will tell you why that happened. I do not know. I just did what God me to do….

No comments:

Post a Comment